From the Ice to the Future

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.32.58 AM.png People say hockey is just a dangerous game that only leads to injury.  I understand more than most, so I can’t say you’re completely wrong.  But to me, it is much more than that. Besides being the reason I get up in the morning, it also has opened, and will open, many doors for me in the future.  About 6 years ago, I crashed into the boards at Panthers Ice Den,. Not only did I suffer a concussion, but I also suffered 3 fractures in my C1 vertebrae. This is also known as a Jefferson Fracture.  I was unable to move my neck for nine months before returning to the ice. If you’re wondering, I am 100% insane. Six years later, completely healed, I now use the game that almost ruined my life to help me make the best of it.  I have always believed that hockey will open up doors for me, and now I do more than ever.
It was March 11, 2017 when I came into the living room to see my dad holding up a letter with a tear in his eye. The only thing he could say was “You did it.”  Moving back a little, I applied to six boarding schools that spring in hopes that I could play hockey and receive a great education. This was my dream. When March 10 rolled around the letters started coming in and the first three schools were all the same thing: Accepted, but not the scholarship I needed to make this happen.  Things looked pretty gloomy as I was preparing to have some friends over the next day. I had finally come to the realization that maybe this was all just a dream, and what was going to happen was meant to happen. Then my dream came true with those three words.  I ran over to him saying “I am going to be Raven.”  Once we signed the paper and got some shirts and a hat it was official:  I was going to be a Raven.

Now, I can’t wait to attend Portsmouth Abbey School in Newport, RI this fall.   I am now happier than ever knowing that I will be attending this great school.  It is an amazing place that you can look at right here. This is the first time in my life that I can actually say that this game, that almost ruined my life, is opening the doors that will lead me to success later in life. So, do you think hockey is just a dangerous game that will lead to injury? Well, to me, it’s much more than that…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hockey: A Tough Sport by Alex Leef

Concussion: The Movie Review